1986 635CSi - Toronto

Pics...we want PICS!!!

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Craigger

1986 635CSi - Toronto

Post by Craigger »

Evening all,

I'll start by saying my first experience with a Big Coupe was when my late Father picked me up from School unannounced in a 1987 Shark, in Cinnabar Red with Recaro's and a 5 speed. It had the Euro Bumpers but was not a Euro car. We sold it a little while after he passed and after 100k km's.

Fast forward 18 years and I picked up a 1986 635CSi with 154k km's on it, with the Recaro's as well. It's a 10 footer, with it badly needing a good paint correction, some trim bits loose, etc. But it drives beautiful and is all mine.

Things that I hope to address soon.
- The front Rubber "wings" are lifting. Any way to get this sorted without just btiing the bullet on a Euro bumper conversion?
- there is a bit of a dead spot on center with turn in. I figure this is end links?
- ABS module pulsates at super low speeds and the ABS light comes on at 70kmh.
- Drivers Window is sticky. Speed is ok but it takes a few taps and prayer when pushing the window up button. Windows down is flawless.
- Seat Heat for the Drivers Seat does not work.
- Fan Blower only works on high
- Vent Slider Switches seem to be no longer operating anything.
- Headliner needs to be addressed sometime soon
- Power seats work, except for the headrests up and down function.
635sharknose

Re: 1986 635CSi - Toronto

Post by 635sharknose »

Welcome to the forum!
I do recognize the love you had for your fathers car. My father used to drive great cars back in the days as well and I still have strong feelings for these cars.

Your E24 looks very well and the list of issues isn't that long.
With a little bit of investigation here on the forum, you will find a lot of solutions as most of the issues you mentioned were already solved by others.

Have fun with your car and here on BigCoupe.com
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
konzelmann

Re: 1986 635CSi - Toronto

Post by konzelmann »

Looks like a fairly nice car. For a 35 year old car in southwestern ontario, yours is probably one of the better ones remaining!

Felt I had to comment because I'm in London Ontario, also with an '86, also not perfect (or even close) as you put it, 'a 10 footer' though I've been stuck with a white hood on a cosmos blue car, due to the fact that when I bought the car the original hood had a bit of a poorly repaired dent in it that I didn't like and I felt better about having a good condition hood in the wrong color than a dented hood in the right color. Would paint the hood, but it becomes a 'while you're there' situation where opening up that can of worms would probably end in me saying "well, I just spent $10,000 stripping and repainting the car" - and after repainting the car, what's another $5000 to make the rest perfect? So it has not been done, and I've simply enjoyed summer driving the car for the years I've owned it, ignoring the fact that it's not perfect because when you're driving it and smiling about it those imperfections don't matter much.

We are 2 (of the few) surviving 1986 635CSI's in this general area of Ontario! At this point, even imperfect cars are rare and to proud of and cherished.