Rear Light Panel Access

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

josh

Rear Light Panel Access

Post by josh »

This is probably a simple question, but I'd rather ask than break something.

I would like to access the back of the rear light housing, but I can't figure out how to remove the rear trunk lining panel. Are there clips I can't see? It's doesn't seem to want to move at all, and I don't want to ruin it.

Thanks.
1988 635Csi Auto
Bronzit Beige Metalic
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Rear Light Panel Access

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hey Josh, the back panel does just snap into place, but given the age of the numerous plastic clips that retain it, you may break a few :-"

Remove the 2X side panels, then lift the rear panel up vertically, carefully unsnapping the clips as you go along, there's probably about 8 or so :-k

Once you are in there, the lenses are held in place by 2X round plastic "nuts", and the covers simply pops off once they are removed, and you're in \:D/

And it may help to remove the trunk mat, since you do have to pull the rear panel up [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
monoi

Post by monoi »

As said above, you might break some of the plastic plugs due to plastic age. Try also and support the lining cardboard under the carpet with some sort of fork type thing or screwdriver.
635 Csi highline 3/89
josh

Post by josh »

Okay, excellent. Thanks! It's a really good thing I asked. I think my first instict would have been to just pull out horizantally and absolutely broken all of the clips in one go. As always, am so glad to be a member of this forum.
1988 635Csi Auto
Bronzit Beige Metalic