Muffler options for my 635CSi series 1

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

msoft

Muffler options for my 635CSi series 1

Post by msoft »

Hi,
My current 2" exhaust has been repaired over the years and now it is time to replace it. I need a rear muffler in good condition, either used original or any with the BMW original dual-pipe look. A local shop will be able to build the rest.

Could someone point me to some affordable muffler option? Would for example a series 2 muffler fit, or is it too tight?
20221105_134841.jpg
20221105_134841.jpg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 1219 times
ByronB

Re: Muffler options for my 635CSi series 1

Post by ByronB »

Have you had any luck? I have a 1981 euro 635csi and I am also in need of a rear muffler and a center section, basically a cat back. The only three I know of are Supersprint, Eisenman and Billy Boat, and all are close to $1,500, around $1,000 just for the rear muffler! I want to replace the center muffler with straight pipes. I cannot seem to find any other options at this time. Please share if you have had any better luck or other ideas!
1981 Euro 635csi Dogleg 5-speed, Recaros, LSD, Sunroof & A/C
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hmm, since you both have series 1 Euro 635's, you are going to have trouble finding these exhaust items ](*,)

Byron, you say that you have a cat :-k

Interesting, perhaps added during the DOT federalization process :-?

Either way, my suggestion would be to either bite the bullet (realizing that EVERTHING is more expensive these days :| ) and go with the SuperSprint SS setup, or see if a US version series 1 633 unit might work [-o<

I really can't say, while I have a series 1 '80, I also have Stahl long tube headers and a cat, which greatly complicated things :-({|=

I do have a B&B TriFlow rear section, but I would not recommend their products, if they still use glass packs in the center section [-X

Lemme know if you want me to dig up pix, if that will help :roll:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
ByronB

Post by ByronB »

I think you are right, will probably have to go Supersprint. I do like the fact that they make the cool rare left exit twin pipes with the rolled edges like factory tips, that's just cool to me. The price is what is not cool!

Yes, the car still has the cat from when it was imported no doubt. We do not have emissions testing in Florida so I could remove it, but I figure if I can get the sound I want from a high performance rear muffler and delete the center muffler, that should be good. Ironically I removed the rear muffler that was so rotted and am just running the cat and center muffler temporarily for now, and the sound is pretty darn good! Probably similar to when I get rid of the center muffler and install a rear muffler, so we will see.

I am learning more and more every time I turn around that the E12 parts are really difficult because not all E12 parts fit, and there is not that much support for E12 5-series anyway! The later E24 cars seem to have plenty support, but I got a deal on this E12 based '81 car and I like the dogleg 5-speed, factory Recaros and limited slip so it is what it is!

I am catching hell from one of my mechanic friends for installing new Bilstein B6's without replacing the springs. I tried to explain to him that stock springs are no longer available and the only option is H&R lowering springs (if those are still made), but then you have to go with B8's and many folks have complained about how stiff the ride is and warned against it unless you are doing some very spirited driving. He said the Bilsteins will wear out sooner if the springs are weak, and I told him FCP Euro will just have to send me new Bilsteins under the lifetime warranty!

GRNSHRK wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:22 pm Hmm, since you both have series 1 Euro 635's, you are going to have trouble finding these exhaust items ](*,)

Byron, you say that you have a cat :-k

Interesting, perhaps added during the DOT federalization process :-?

Either way, my suggestion would be to either bite the bullet (realizing that EVERTHING is more expensive these days :| ) and go with the SuperSprint SS setup, or see if a US version series 1 633 unit might work [-o<

I really can't say, while I have a series 1 '80, I also have Stahl long tube headers and a cat, which greatly complicated things :-({|=

I do have a B&B TriFlow rear section, but I would not recommend their products, if they still use glass packs in the center section [-X

Lemme know if you want me to dig up pix, if that will help :roll:
1981 Euro 635csi Dogleg 5-speed, Recaros, LSD, Sunroof & A/C
gilach

Post by gilach »

I'm in the same boat, need a rear muffler/silencer for my 81 Euro. Do you have to order the SuperSprint from Europe? also, are there any other bmw models that might fit.

best, Paul.
msoft

Post by msoft »

I was lucky and finally found an original system from a local BMW guy who had it laying around. Still, I'm thinking of having my original muffler repaired/copied for the future anyway.
received_3415744478703490.jpeg
received_3415744478703490.jpeg (165.22 KiB) Viewed 661 times