Stuck key

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

RossDinan6

Stuck key

Post by RossDinan6 »

I was going to proudly declare I got the Central lock issue fixed in the "What did you do to your E24 today" thread. They do work now.

Last test was the trunk lock. It was locking and unlocking the doors fine. The doors would not lock the trunk. Turned the trunk lock the other direction (not sure which at this point). It now Is laughing at me only allowing me to push it in. I have the lock assembly out on the bench. Hit it with Kroil since that concoction fixes about anything. I suspect a broken tumbler.

I can cut the handle off the key to allow it to come out for access. Thankfully i have spare keys. Realoem says the lock is still available.

Any suggestions before I break out the saw>
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
RossDinan6

Re: Stuck key

Post by RossDinan6 »

I just did a little shopping. It appears salvaging this lockset is worth it, if possible. Available on the intrawebz for $140-175 USD.

If you disassemble one of these, watch out for the Jesus spring and ball. The grease on the ball made me aware (it stuck, didn't fly), and a flashlight laid on the garage floor allowed me to find the diminutive spring.

May not be too far from the saw, but hopeful for some insight.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

RossDinan6 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:30 ama flashlight laid on the garage floor allowed me to find the diminutive spring.
Great tip. I'll remember that one :D
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

That trick works great for finding dropped model train bits or ham radio bits that escaped the bench, too. =D>
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"