Tint or no Tint (surviving the summer)

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

KINGJOHN808

Tint or no Tint (surviving the summer)

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Aloha all,

Quick question or rather a poll of those of you that have tinted glass. I don’t mean the green tint that’s embedded in the glass but actual tint that you had applied.

Many of you live in the southern states a few in Las Vegas and a several in the middle east; but not a lot appear to have tinted windows. While I “know I can”, just trying to figure out how well your air conditioners work that you don’t require tint to drive during the day light hours.

Living in Hawai’i, it’s basically summer year round, but I’ve even seen a few E24’s (in passing on the freeway) that didn’t appear to have tint either.

I’ve gotta be missing something because my E24, (black with black leather interior) is hot at all times of the day. Even when parked inside so I can’t figure out how you guys are doing it without.

Someone had mentioned “clear ceramic film” like the stuff they put on the windshields, but just doing the whole car like that. Someone else mentioned “ceramic film” that is polarized but still can’t locate anything like that.

Mahalo’z for any replies and or responses.
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

“Aloha and have a great day!”
TimU

Re: Tint or no Tint (surviving the summer)

Post by TimU »

Aloha from Australia.
Definitely Tinted.
You can get tinting with and without UV protection - I strongly recommend getting it with.
Your human skin and car interior will thank you for it.

You can also get ceramic and non-ceramic tint. Ceramic is better at cutting out the heat.
Check your local laws if you're allowed to apply any film (including clear film) to a windscreen. Not allowed where I'm from.

Here's mine with a 20% (darkest legal) tint allowed in Australia.

More photos here: https://imgur.com/a/BWJZa92
Including a side-by-side comparison with an identical, untinted car.
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

TimU wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:52 am Aloha from Australia.
Definitely Tinted.
You can get tinting with and without UV protection - I strongly recommend getting it with.
Your human skin and car interior will thank you for it.

You can also get ceramic and non-ceramic tint. Ceramic is better at cutting out the heat.
Check your local laws if you're allowed to apply any film (including clear film) to a windscreen. Not allowed where I'm from.

Here's mine with a 20% (darkest legal) tint allowed in Australia.

More photos here: https://imgur.com/a/BWJZa92
Including a side-by-side comparison with an identical, untinted car.
Aloha TimU!

Definitely going to reapply tint. All of my cars here have ceramic tint, except for the windshield. It’s legal here for the front as long as it has not “color” so a lot of vehicles with large windows are going with ceramic clear tint for the front.

What caught my attention was so many cars on this site and from around the world that have no tint. I just found it to be “strange” that everyone is comfortably driving around without it. 🤣🤣
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

TimU

Post by TimU »

I've had the same baffling discussion with other Aussies too.
I don't personally understand it, but each to their own.
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
knunger

Post by knunger »

Definitely tint!

In 2015 I tinted my '86 e28 with LLumac ceramic tint: 35% on the sides,15% in the back and clear on the front. I live in Tucson so I am an expert on observing this sort of stuff. I immediately noticed a couple things:
1. Sitting in the sun, the interior will get just as hot as untinted, it just takes longer.
2. But, driving around when its 110 the a/c works significantly better. Before, I had to keep the blower on high and was not perfectly comfortable. Now,I can also reduce the blower to the middle speed and even low speed when driving away from the sun.

One of the very first things I did to my e24 was the exact same tint scheme.
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

knunger wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:03 pm Definitely tint!

In 2015 I tinted my '86 e28 with LLumac ceramic tint: 35% on the sides,15% in the back and clear on the front. I live in Tucson so I am an expert on observing this sort of stuff. I immediately noticed a couple things:
1. Sitting in the sun, the interior will get just as hot as untinted, it just takes longer.
2. But, driving around when its 110 the a/c works significantly better. Before, I had to keep the blower on high and was not perfectly comfortable. Now,I can also reduce the blower to the middle speed and even low speed when driving away from the sun.

One of the very first things I did to my e24 was the exact same tint scheme.
Excellent. I’ve been to Tucson and know very well how hot it is there. I’m definitely tinting as it’s such a large set of windows in that car, like riding in an aquarium. 🤣🤣

Looking forward to “before and after” temp checks once I get the tint (ceramic) all the way around.
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

Slownrusty

Post by Slownrusty »

I live in the convection oven...affectionately known as Houston.

Its all about tint to keep from cooking you and the car's interior during the summer.

Here's my recently sold '86

KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Finally got it tinted. Went with ceramic, 35% smoke. They didn’t have the clear ceramic available for the windshield so gotta go back to that done. Overall I’m happy with the look and gotta say it definitely cuts down on the heat transfer through those huge windows.
Attachments
54727D52-2816-4356-8696-9B68AD8E0706.jpeg
54727D52-2816-4356-8696-9B68AD8E0706.jpeg (701.14 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
DD34F60E-58D1-4EF2-ACFB-9783F9DFFF5D.jpeg
DD34F60E-58D1-4EF2-ACFB-9783F9DFFF5D.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 1806 times
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

TimU

Post by TimU »

Lookin good!
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

TimU wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:06 amLookin good!
Mahalo’z Tim! Now just gotta finish the AC and get my sunroof working again. 🤙🏾🤙🏾
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)