Mounting USA rear license plate on Euro model

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

someotherguy

Mounting USA rear license plate on Euro model

Post by someotherguy »

I've seen a few references to this on here while searching for a solution, so I thought I'd post mine.

I tagged my Euro 635 today and it seemed I got "lucky" with the particular letter/number combo as the blank spots in the characters were in exactly the right spots. I could only fold the bottom side of my plate as the top side shows the state, but that left me free to fold up the bottom 1" or so of it. Using a piece of cardboard to make a template for the car's original license mounting holes, I transferred them to the plate and drilled them.

(Tag pic somewhat altered to foil cyberstalkers; yeah I'm paranoid :))

I'm thinking I'll probably paint the screws white to blend them in a little better. I'm not entirely happy with the result but it beats hanging the tag in the back window, and it's securely fastened, too.

Richard
jrcalvin

Post by jrcalvin »

Some people think that a euro sixer should have the license plate full size but tilted to fit in the space provided. That seems so, so...lame to me. FOLDING the top portion and bottom portion of the USA plate is the only way to go in my quiet little opinion. At least you didn't make the mistake of actually CUTTING the USA plate at the top and bottom to fit the space provided like I did for the mounting of the front plate. It looked sort of like a "euro" plate. Now that is (was) a way to attract the police!
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

Here is what I did. This is a BMW part and allows the full plate to be used.

My wife was stopped in my last euro with the bent plate and was lectured about the plate. (so she says) She did not get a ticket so I am not sure what exactly transpired. She has a notorious driving style and the cops in some of our areas are known ball-busters.

An option for the plate screws is to use the little caps that cover the screws. The screws go thru a white washer and then the white cap covers the screw head. Available from most marine shops as they are used a lot with upholstery and trim and they are also available at Home Depot and Lowes.
Attachments
europlatemt3.JPG
europlatemt3.JPG (64.1 KiB) Viewed 16093 times
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

Here is a pic of one of the caps on the spoiler. One screw is missing the cap so you can see the difference.

You can also notice the small spot next to the cooling duct. I think that is where I hit the wingless beetle that was trying to cross the road.
Attachments
Image-C64FEC28236C11DC.jpg
Image-C64FEC28236C11DC.jpg (95.44 KiB) Viewed 16089 times
Joe M in WV

Post by Joe M in WV »

jrcalvin wrote:Some people think that a euro sixer should have the license plate full size but tilted to fit in the space provided. That seems so, so...lame to me.
I fabbed up a bracket with some trimmed bits of Trex composite decking. It has held up fine for the past few years.

No lame' used

Joe M in WV
someotherguy

Post by someotherguy »

alpinacsi wrote:My wife was stopped in my last euro with the bent plate and was lectured about the plate. (so she says) She did not get a ticket so I am not sure what exactly transpired. She has a notorious driving style and the cops in some of our areas are known ball-busters.
Nice solution, and honestly, I wouldn't doubt at all that they gave her an earful about the bent plate. Georgia seemed overly concerned about the county designation sticker on the plates, which always puzzled me, because for $15 or so extra you could get the wildlife plates which do not have the county sticker.

When I lived there it seemed like I was getting pulled over for every possible reason under the sun, including a "felony-style" stop just blocks from my home - guns drawn, surrounded by cars. I had done nothing. Not even speeding. Cobb County Georgia, I won't miss you!

Richard
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

My wife works in Duluth. Anybody in the area would understand. Anybody out of the area would also understand when they saw the vehicles. Not your standard cars even if they are fully marked.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

SuperCommuter wrote:
jrcalvin wrote:Some people think that a euro sixer should have the license plate full size but tilted to fit in the space provided. That seems so, so...lame to me.
No lame' used

Joe M in WV
You're right Joe, the gold lame' does have a certain appeal.
GWL

Post by GWL »

I have driven mine for more than 27 years like this . Registered in two states and driven all over the country without a problem.
Attachments
Folded on bottom and cut out at top around button
Folded on bottom and cut out at top around button
635Csi03.jpg (60.53 KiB) Viewed 16055 times
lawsco

Post by lawsco »

George, Thanks for posting the pic of your euro 635 w/ arizona plates. I had just noticed the hokey tilted angle of my plates and was wondering how to cure it when I came upon this string. IMHO yours is the cleanest solution & the one I'll be copying. Again, thanks for posting

SCO
JT

Post by JT »

Yet another way to skin the proverbial cat. A little nibble at the top, and folded at the bottom:
Attachments
DSCF0034a.JPG
DSCF0034a.JPG (139.22 KiB) Viewed 15633 times
Alex E24 E30

Post by Alex E24 E30 »

I tilted mine like some others here. I kinda goofed the bracket the first time. Threw it together in a hurry so I could be more legal for going to college. I'd like to redo it in aluminum. That could be my next project...hmm...

Wish I had pics to post, but no digital cam :?
89 325is - good driveline waiting for a good body
85 635csi euro - hail storm victim
83 635csi - weekend warrior
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

Alex E24 E30 wrote:I tilted mine like some others here. I kinda goofed the bracket the first time. Threw it together in a hurry so I could be more legal for going to college. I'd like to redo it in aluminum. That could be my next project...hmm...

Wish I had pics to post, but no digital cam :?
I paid about $30 for my factory alum bracket
Alex E24 E30

Post by Alex E24 E30 »

alpinacsi wrote:
I paid about $30 for my factory alum bracket
Really...I didn't know that they sold a bracket. Did you get it from the dealer or something?
89 325is - good driveline waiting for a good body
85 635csi euro - hail storm victim
83 635csi - weekend warrior
ericono

Post by ericono »

Yeah, I'd like to know where you bought the angled bracket as well. Do you have a part #?

If it's done cleanly, like alpinacsi's is, I think it looks fine. I've done the bent plate route as well, but I like the clean look of the factory? bracket.

Thanks!
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

BMW part # 51181859871

Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

This has been very helpful, i'll post a pick when I am done!
Sixracer1

Re: Mounting USA rear license plate on Euro model

Post by Sixracer1 »

Digging up an old thread….just moved to a new state and concerned about running no front plate. Any great ideas on a no-drill front plate mounting?
'85 M635CSi #64
‘08 535XiT 6sp
Sold '01 325XiT
(Formerly "Sixracer")
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Is there a tow hook accessible? If so you could build a bracket to attach there.
85 635CSi Bronzit
80euro Csi

Post by 80euro Csi »

I just squeezed the original tabs inward and drilled the Washington plates and screwed after I had trimmed the plate.
I researched the existing laws and found nothing wrong as long as numbers and state where intact. I trimmed the rear plate and cut the frame to fit
Attachments
2021-09-22 15.21.55.jpg
2021-09-22 15.21.55.jpg (175.51 KiB) Viewed 5529 times
2021-09-22 15.21.23.jpg
2021-09-22 15.21.23.jpg (170.79 KiB) Viewed 5529 times
80euro Csi
gray635

Post by gray635 »

I ordered one of these universal brackets: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382621407257?h ... Swr~tb4eEV

After drilling some new holes in the "carbon fiber" plastic bracket, and flipping the mounting bracket over, i was able to bolt this up to my euro 635CSI and mount my U.S. license plate with no problems. A quick, cheap and easy solution to a vexing problem on the euro cars here in the U.S.
Mike Gray
1985 635CSi - Alpine white/black, 5 sp.
1991 M5- Alpine White II/black,
1988 M5 - Euro bumper conversion
2013 Aston Martin Vantage V8, MT, white/chestnut,
2011 M-B E350, 1989 Alfa Romeo Milano Gold, 2014 Porsche 911 7MT w/aero kit, 15K
jsspagg

Post by jsspagg »

Cut a notch on the top center to go around the truck latch.
Attachments
IMG_2328.JPG
IMG_2328.JPG (3.58 MiB) Viewed 2906 times
1980 635 Euro
Under restoration