E24 Door Lock Detailed Tear-down & Rebuild Instructions

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

TimU

E24 Door Lock Detailed Tear-down & Rebuild Instructions

Post by TimU »

There are very few detailed instructions on how to remove, tear-down and rebuild an E24 door lock, so I made a video.

BMW E24 635CSi
Door Lock / Door Barrel / Door Key / Door Latch
Detailed Tear-down & Rebuild Instructions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqOq75Kf-pw

Fair warning: It's pretty dry content. 30 mins talking about door locks is definitely not what I'd call "entertainment", but I hope it's useful to someone trying to remove or rebuild their door locks.
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
Jubilados

Re: E24 Door Lock Detailed Tear-down & Rebuild Instructions

Post by Jubilados »

Excellent!
This was a bit of a bedeviling job the first time I did it.
I think I posted some pics and info on it, but your video does a much better job and will be very helpful to those tackling it for the first time. [-o<
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

Fantastic video Tim. Thanks for posting. I have not had any issues with mine so far, but it's nice to know there are clear instructions available if it does occur.

Scott
1988 M6
Stoffie

Post by Stoffie »

Great video to get some insight on how it all goes together =D>

My driver's door lock/cylinder made very funny noises last time I unlocked it, sounded like stuff was falling into the door and now the cylinder is spinning and half loose. At least now I have a good idea on what might have happened/broken inside.

As for the repair, we'll see how that goes and if any broken parts are still available or NLA #-o
The M88/3 was all about power, no cats. At idle the raw fuel from the exhaust will make your eyes water like an old V-8 powered muscle car's exhaust did.
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

Awsome video
Really helps seeing how things are connected before starting pulling pushing twisting. Most Things are pretty brittle on a 30+/- yr car.
Have panels off ready to go at it in prep for paint. Only looking to get handles off as i Have OE shadowline replacements.
Here goes😩
Alpinab7

Post by Alpinab7 »

I spent many hours trying to get mine back together. I received it apart and have many extra parts as well as missing parts. This video was the only one that made it clear. Now, unfortunately, I seem to be missing the L-shaped clip that holds the lock on as well as the tiny spring and ball two ball bearings and the larger spring. Most of the repair kits I see online seem slightly different and don't seem to contain the L-shaped clip. Do they use another method of securing the lock piece on the back of the tumbler?