Clanking in Park that stops when brake pressed

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Clanking in Park that stops when brake pressed

Post by songzunhuang »

As I parked my car after morning commute, I noticed a clanking noise coming from the front of the car. It would stop when I depressed the brake. It appears to only happens when I am in "Park" for now. I have an automatic transmission with a ZF 4 speed. If I shift into any other gear, the sound stops.

Anyone have an idea what it might be? I have to drive the car home about 24 miles this evening and hoping to get some insight before the drive. I have to go over a mountain road, so if there's anything I can do, I want to do it soon.

==< update 5/9/23 >==
Please read the next post. It turns out my initial observations weren't exactly right.
When I had more time to explore more, I discovered the culprit.
Last edited by songzunhuang on Wed May 10, 2023 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Clanking in Park that stops when brake pressed

Post by songzunhuang »

I believe I have just answered my own question. I drove home today and noticed that clacking sound continues even with my car shut off! I turned the key on and off several times and realized that it was the Cruise control making all the sound and I could see the cable vibrating at the throttle body. When I pressed the brake, it stopped. Let off the brake it it started again.

I did a quick search on the forum and found this post from way back when.
viewtopic.php?p=197276&hilit=cruise+con ... ng#p197276

It looks like I need a new Cruise control controller unit.
I hope Programa still sells it.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Issue Resolved with used eBay unit

Post by songzunhuang »

I just wanted to wrap up this post and let folks know that my issue was resolved with a replacement unit from an eBay seller. I got mine for all of $28!

There were lots of units available in a huge range of prices. I even saw an available new old stock for $550.
A little bit of investigation and all is well again with a lot of money saved.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi