What did you do to your E24 today?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What did you do to your E24 today?

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hey Bert, I was referring to the airbox cover (and lower half), not the AFM #-o

Anybody can cover something to make it look better :-"

Still waiting on some new hardware before I complete everything that I am working on, then will start a new thread and post pix \:D/

Hoping for delivery today [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

just yanking your shank!! I had my air box powder coated and all new hardware and it does look nice. I am wondering how much weight all the powder coating I had done added to the car. I am now having my coil bracket chromed
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Hey Bert, I never thought of the powder coating weight.
You may have something there. A couple of lbs is a couple of lbs.

My chariot is finally done with all the big items. Had the deferential
from Metric Mechanic installed last week. At 76 my wife won't let me
get underneath anymore.

I went to Lime Rock's "Sunday in the Park". A black 6 M30 with twin blowers pushing 580hp.

Mine is scary fast @ 265hp. Can't imagine 580.

Take care and stay safe
Bob V
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
pgh880

Post by pgh880 »

I usually use the car once a week on a Sunday for a 30 mins spirited drive. When I started the car it started then after 10 seconds the car shut down . Started it again and it just cranked & no start. I tried to crank the car again and asked somebody to listen to the buzzing of the fuel pump. The person there was none . I had a spare fuel pump relay in the trunk . Replaced the fuel pump relay and the car started . Checked the old metal can Bosch Relay 40 amp I bought 5 yrs ago . Opened it up and it was full of ants. Used an air compressor blower to remove all the ants and debris inside the relay. Reassembled and reinstalled and the car started like a champ. Put the spare plastic FP relay back to the trunk.
84 BMW 635CSI/a
89 Porsche 911 Turbo
88 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Ants are crazy like that, something about the ozone from the make-break of the contacts, maybe. When I worked in the machine shop I was also the maintenance guy/electrician. At least once a summer I had to clear the ants out of the relay on the office air conditioner's outside unit.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
pgh880

Post by pgh880 »

Thanks for the reply hornhospital. It’s the second time it happened to one of my car . The first time was in my old 73 Mercedes Benz 450SL back in the day . But that car was only used once a month . Fuel pump relay was full of ants . After it was blown away and debris were removed , it never happened again .
84 BMW 635CSI/a
89 Porsche 911 Turbo
88 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Enjoyed some "me" time with it .
With Mrs Olympia in her office for the day instead of working from home and with the ( written in heavy black ink :roll: ) list of chores dispatched at almost Mach 1 speed I found myself unsupervised and unfettered .
Being a man of infinite leisure now I decided that the beautiful end of summer sunshine and empty ( Covid ) roads called for a short road trip ... \:D/
So Auric and I set off climbing up and over the Caha mountains and dropping down into West Cork and the beautiful little town of Glengariff ,famous for being the hometown of Maureen O'hara of Hollywood fame , where we stopped for a coffee overlooking the georgeous bay that it sits on . I had a lovely conversation with an ex E24 owner of similar mature years to myself , who obviously enjoyed recounting the events of ownership he had back in the early 90's . I took him over and let him sit in it and it was a delight to see the pleasure it brought back to him .
Left Glangariff and snaked along the edge of Bantry bay before turning off and heading up over the wild Healey Pass back into County Kerry .
The pass was originally a drovers trail but more recently is renowned as a famous Rally Stage and snakes it's way from sea level up to the top via a road that resembles something from an Alpine pass , it truly is an enjoyable and entertaining drive in both directions .
I stopped at the top and took in the almost silence and total absence of fellow humans . It was bliss.
A spirited drive home in the company of a little friendly MX5 saw the end of the "trip".
A Lovely day . :D
Phew !.JPG
Phew !.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 10184 times
Nearly there ...JPG
Nearly there ...JPG (1.84 MiB) Viewed 10184 times
Catch our breath ..JPG
Catch our breath ..JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 10184 times
On the way down now ..JPG
On the way down now ..JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 10184 times
Last edited by olympia57 on Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1981 635 series 1
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

What a beautiful place, Don.

I'm assuming the weather's always like that, of course!
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

wattsmonkey wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:47 pm What a beautiful place, Don.

I'm assuming the weather's always like that, of course!
Oh indubitably , lowest figure of rainfall in the northern hemisphere .
Due to the resulting arrid nature of the landscape we actually have to paint the grass and foliage to get that "Irish " look to the countryside . The fields are done mostly by paint roller ,obviously the bigger the better but the foliage on the trees has to be done by drone with the actual spraying being done by an on board Leprechaun , frankly it couldn't be done without the little guys . The added bonus is that due to their diminutive size we only have to pay them a fraction of minimum wage .
Win , win ..... :wink:
1981 635 series 1
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

Thanks for the lovely pictures as they brought back memories of my wife and I scaling Healey Pass several years ago in a rental car while staying in a rental cottage in Kenmare. I guess that the little souvenir and snack shop at the summit is still operating? One of my favourite holidays ever was the trip to Ireland despite my inexperience with right hand drive and left lane driving. I especially remember also the one lane road from Kilgarvan to Bantry Bay and the Kilgarvan car museum.
I took my 635CSi on a 500km (roundtrip) road trip along the north shore of Lake Superior yesterday on a cloudless 21C day. I wish now that I had taken some photos of the spectacular scenery so that I could post them here.
Dave
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

clipper47 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:55 pm Thanks for the lovely pictures as they brought back memories of my wife and I scaling Healey Pass several years ago in a rental car while staying in a rental cottage in Kenmare. I guess that the little souvenir and snack shop at the summit is still operating? One of my favourite holidays ever was the trip to Ireland despite my inexperience with right hand drive and left lane driving. I especially remember also the one lane road from Kilgarvan to Bantry Bay and the Kilgarvan car museum.
I took my 635CSi on a 500km (roundtrip) road trip along the north shore of Lake Superior yesterday on a cloudless 21C day. I wish now that I had taken some photos of the spectacular scenery so that I could post them here.
Hi Dave.
I can imagine negotiating the Healey pass in right hand drive mode would be "interesting " to a LHD person ..... :lol:
The shop at the top is still there but has been closed all season due to the Covid pandemic.
The road from Kilgarven to Bantry Bay is still single track :roll: and the section down through Borlan is still best avoided if you wish to retain your door mirrors ....
John and his sons Trevor and Allan are still running the Museum and workshop . I see them regularly as we are in the same local car club .
https://www.facebook.com/Kilgarvan-Moto ... 2442775065
I live in Kenmare and it's a great pity that we never had the opportunity to meet up when you were here .
I guess you'll just have to repeat your Lake Superior trip with camera next time and post some photos of that wonderful scenery for us .
Lovely to hear from you and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos .
Don
1981 635 series 1
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

Don, I spent much of my life driving on one lane dirt roads as a game warden here in northern Ontario but that trip up Healey Pass was an unforgettable experience as was adjusting to the right hand drive. On my first trip from a car rental agency in Kilkenny to our b&b I ran over the curbs a few times and people must have thought that I was drunk . Bless her,but my wife was ready to give up on me driving on that first few kilometers and wanted to take the car back but we both adapted to it and didn't lose any mirrors, quite surprisingly considering. Unfortunately when we visited the car museum it was closed but the owners wife, a kindly woman, came out of the nearby house and unlocked the door so we could have a look around. I bought a Kerry licence plate from her as a souvenir.
I wish I coulx recall the name of the owner of the cottage but it was a sea side view and was located on the road where the Cromwell Bridge is located. I felt so at home in Ireland though my family has not lived there since my great great garandfather emigrated in the 1840's during the Great Famine.
Dave

Post by billy bee »

Well, we took a perfectly good E12-based E24 and made it into a 24 Hours of Lemons car last year. At Sonoma in December:

Today, we did this:

:D

--BB
Pasocb

Post by Pasocb »

Subtlety out the window?
I like your strategic use of black paint.
Should be fun...
1981 635 Hennarot
1980 635 Polaris (Project)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Attachments
IMG_4071.JPG
IMG_4071.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 10071 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

good job
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Russm21

Post by Russm21 »

I went for a drive up Angeles Crest a few weeks ago. I had the pleasure of chasing a C7 Corvette, Porsche GT4, Porsche Panamera, E90 M3 and a McClaren. I was in the E30 convertible. Yes, I was a little over matched.

20200925_173415.jpg
20200925_173415.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 10055 times
Russell
1989 E30 325ic
1986 E24 635CSi
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Russm21 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:44 am I went for a drive up Angeles Crest a few weeks ago. I had the pleasure of chasing a C7 Corvette, Porsche GT4, Porsche Panamera, E90 M3 and a McClaren. I was in the E30 convertible. Yes, I was a little over matched.

20200925_173415.jpg
That must have been fun! Did you do the entire route of 65 miles? I have to plan on doing this drive soon, maybe after the fire closures end.
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
Lbs6

Post by Lbs6 »

Today was a busy car day. I mounted new Wheels and tires to my recently purchased 79 Euro 635. Then drove out to the shop to help my brother repair an inferior American car. Evidently some rodents ate the wires going to the crank sensor on the backside of the front wheel drive V6 motor. Mean while oversaw my son Luke replace all the fuel injection lines on my other us 1980 633, they were only two years old and failing. In the middle of all this received a text requesting some suspension parts off of our parts car. Evidently our friends at Buttonwillow had a little off-road Excursion. Wishing we were there of course, hoping there's video. Had the parts removed 5 minutes before the guys showed up so they could head right back to the track. Finished off the evening with a test drive to pick up my mom for family dinner. I think I should have Luke full-time mechanic for me the cars never run so well. Maybe sometime tomorrow I'll have time 2 look at the underside of my new Euro Car.
Sorry for the lengthy post, but it was a busy day.
I promise to send pics as soon as I figure out how..
Leonard
80 633 polaris
79 635 (euro) fjord
85 635 schwarz
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Leonard, here's the how-to on posting pictures. Please don't use a photo hosting site link. When they close up/move/go to pay-for-hosting, the pictures disappear. Just upload direct from your computer, tablet or phone. And although it says there's a 256kb limit, it's way more than that.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1027
Ken Kanne
Russm21

Post by Russm21 »

[/quote]

That must have been fun! Did you do the entire route of 65 miles? I have to plan on doing this drive soon, maybe after the fire closures end.
[/quote]

It was a blast! We went up Angeles Crest to Angeles Highway then through Leona Valley and down Lake Hughes Road to Castaic.
Russell
1989 E30 325ic
1986 E24 635CSi
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

billy bee wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:36 am Well, we took a perfectly good E12-based E24 and made it into a 24 Hours of Lemons car last year. At Sonoma in December:

Today, we did this:

--BB
That is definitely a real special playa...
How did you do? What happened to the car? Is it the same as the bronzit with the fin?
85 635CSi Bronzit
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I'm guessing it's a wrap.
Ken Kanne
anchored

Post by anchored »

Converted a cheap eBay temp sensor to proper colors.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-F-Digital ... 1731838162

Now I need to figure out how to 3d print mount it in the expansion slots.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi
billy bee

Post by billy bee »

Yes. Same car. Paint job is NOT a wrap. It's enamel paint the was rolled and sprayed. My team mate, Karl, has a plotter and cut all of the gold vinyl.

The Buttonwillow race was good. One of the drivers put a wheel off at the exit of the bus stop, spun the car, and was collected by a Volvo. Took a hit to the left-front wheel and fender. Bent the strut, tie rod, wheel, and...we got it back on track within a few hours.

Here's a picture of the car coming in on the hook:

The damage:

Overall, the car runs unusually well. It just amazes me. For our heroic efforts to get the car back on track, we won the "I got screwed" prize.

So, I guess if you ask what I did to my E24 today, I crashed it in a Lemons race. Good times...

--Bill
Jlc wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:57 am
billy bee wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:36 am Well, we took a perfectly good E12-based E24 and made it into a 24 Hours of Lemons car last year. At Sonoma in December:

Today, we did this:

--BB
That is definitely a real special playa...
How did you do? What happened to the car? Is it the same as the bronzit with the fin?