Help with Part Number Very Thin Seals

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Help with Part Number Very Thin Seals

Post by bpoliakoff »

I can have more of the front seals made if: a. the guy who extruded them for me is still around and b. if enough guys want them (10 pair). I solved the flocking issue by buying flocked tape that is major sticky. The rubber itself is made from modern day compounds and is 100% profiled as original as the die was copied from an original piece and matches the cross section exactly Years ago when I did this, I was selling them for $150 the pair shipped, which was less than 1/2 of what it would cost to buy the complete molding from BMW. I sold somewhere around 50 sets and only had one complaint. When I offered to refund his money, he said to forget it. Go figure!
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

Bert, Does the word "pair" refers to the doors only? If your source is willing, is it possible to have the dye made for the rear window pieces as well?
Therefore, 2 pair, 4 pieces. Supply the flock tape as well would make a nice package. I'm sure every 6 needs them. Roger
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

bpoliakoff wrote:I can have more of the front seals made if: a. the guy who extruded them for me is still around and b. if enough guys want them (10 pair). I solved the flocking issue by buying flocked tape that is major sticky. The rubber itself is made from modern day compounds and is 100% profiled as original as the die was copied from an original piece and matches the cross section exactly Years ago when I did this, I was selling them for $150 the pair shipped, which was less than 1/2 of what it would cost to buy the complete molding from BMW. I sold somewhere around 50 sets and only had one complaint. When I offered to refund his money, he said to forget it. Go figure!
Bert,
Does this include the new chrome/aluminum molding that the rubber fits into or is attached to?
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

All, the ones I had made were die cut. The die was formed from an original and was dead nuts on. The problem was the flocking on the back which I solved by getting/using very stickey flocked tape. They then looked as the originals. If enough guys stepped up and if my cutter is still around, I probably can have moree made. They would run $175 per pair including the flocking, plus postage. They would be a 4’ section for each side The only other way is to buy new moldings which come with the rubber installed. I believe they are still available at over $500 the pair.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
635csiSyd

Post by 635csiSyd »

I received a reply from a supplier here in Australia,
Unfortunately the seals /weatherstrip moulds he shows aren't right. I think they could be made to fit but it would be a bit of stuffing around also the standard seal does not have a metal insert in case anyone was wondering, I have attached the dimensional drawing of the seals available and some cross sectional photos against a ruler of the standard front and rear seal.
I think the only option would be to get "someone" to make them, that incurs a cost (as yet unknown and probably a minimum quantity per profile) and it would be nice to know how many would genuinely stump up the money and want a set as original. I'd also be happy to do a how to on changing them out.
It's not as difficult as I thought it might be to remove the originals without damaging the aluminium belt moulds ,just in case it was I invested in a second set today to practice on ,that's how I got the cross sections ;)
216 014 (002).jpg
216 014 (002).jpg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 3501 times

216 033 (002).jpg
216 033 (002).jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
IMG_3489.JPG
IMG_3489.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 3501 times

Anyway I'm going to make some enquirys about costs and quantities , you guys can chat amongst yourselves and see who would be starters for manufactured sets
7/86 E24 635 manual RHD
Royal Blue/Pearl Beige
madman

Post by madman »

bumping up an old interesting thread and checking if there was any progress on remanufactured seals? group buys, etc...
635 CSI Black 1989
New paint
New leather seats
BBS RS 285 18" Rims