Shipping a car from Europe

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Jlc

Shipping a car from Europe

Post by Jlc »

I need to ship vintage MB from Portugal to the US and was looking for any recommendations as to shipping companies. Hagerty can insure it and I've asked them if they have a shipping partner; and am looking at BMWCCA's as well. I'd appreciate any tips and recommendations.
85 635CSi Bronzit
redrumm3

Re: Shipping a car from Europe

Post by redrumm3 »

I imported a 2009 BMW M3 GT4 from France to the (Miami) United States (US) back in 2018. The process was not that difficult, but it was time consuming. You will need to hire a shipping company and Broker in order to get the car into the US. I used the following:

American Freight Line Southeast, Inc. (Shipper)
1919 NW 19th St Ste 304, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
(954) 767-0929
https://shipafl.com/contact-us

Horizon Auto Shipping, Inc. (Broker)
6609 Supply Row
Houston, TX 77011
Tel: 281-488-2604
Fax: 281-218-9558
https://www.horizonautoshipping.com/

I was very happy with both service providers. They can help you with the paperwork (EPA, DOT documents), bonds, power of attorney, etc. It does take some time to get the paperwork processed, so get started on it early and make sure it is all completed correctly. You want to make sure of this so that the car does not get held up in customs upon entry into the United States. It can create huge problems otherwise.

The following sites will also give you some guidance:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import- ... orting-car

There are two different methods to ship the car: RORO (roll on roll off) and container. I shipped mine via container since there was a large spares package with car. RORO is as you would imagine, the car is driven on and off the vessel. RORO is the less expensive method but not quite as secure. You will also need to make arrangements for delivery to and from the ports of exit and entry.

I hope this is of some help. Here is my car:
Attachments
PT1_4166-X2.jpg
PT1_4166-X2.jpg (391.82 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
Last edited by redrumm3 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Collins
80 Euro 635csi Stratosblau/Parchment
redrumm3

Post by redrumm3 »

I also wanted to add that since it appears you are located in Atlanta the closest Port of Entry for you will be Brunswick, GA.
Scott Collins
80 Euro 635csi Stratosblau/Parchment
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Nice ride. Thanks to all. Probably go with a 20 foot container for security.
Pick up in port and drive home. He will need dad until he learns a manual.

Good thing is it’s an 83 so no federalizations. Car is my father in laws and he gave it to my son. It is in mint condition always garaged, serviced by MB all its life. If it so much as burped it went to MB. He always wanted an MB and when he could afford one bought it. Interesting fact is he had it imported to US when he was stationed in Norfolk with NATO. Hagerty will insure it for transit so that’s good.

Son grew up riding it when he was young and visited Portugal. Getting him started on the car craziness. He already has a Transformer edition SS Camaro which is his dream car. We saw it on a dealer lot, dad did the negotiation and he made the payments. The first time he had to buy tires he learned why dad Dias he needed to understand the total cost of ownership.
85 635CSi Bronzit
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Do you have any pictures of the MB?
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Unfortunately, no. I will make sure a lot are taken before shipping just in case. It's a 240D with a white with light brown interior. Only no stock thing on it as a radio and antenna I installed in 83; nothing is scarier than working on your future FIL's dream car...
85 635CSi Bronzit