Shipping Cost to Hawaii (Rant/Venting) session

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

KINGJOHN808

Shipping Cost to Hawaii (Rant/Venting) session

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Aloha! Just need to get this off my chest.

I still can’t understand shipping rates to Hawaii. I get FEDEX and UPS are “premium services”; however when a seller/shop/store has a physical and online presence and offer to ship to Hawaii using USPS Priority Mail, how is it 2 times the actual shipping cost as listed on the box/package.

A large priority box shipping from NYC to Los Angeles is $21.00. Los Angeles to Hawaii is $21.00. Believe it or not, NYC to Hawaii and or anywhere in between is still $21.00. Weight is not an issue as the motto for the post office is “if it fits in the flat rate box, it ships at the flat rate price”. I tested this out by shipping river rocks from Hawaii to Florida just to see if they would actually accept it. Box weighed in at 32 pounds. The box arrived in less than 7 days albeit beat the hell up. Thank God for duct tape! 🤣

I’m so over the “well it cost more to ship to Hawaii, Alaska and any other FOREIGN COUNTRY”. WTF is that!!!???? Hawaii is a state; i.e. (50th State, Aloha State, 808 State) At times I have had to resort to shipping to my sister or friends in the mainland for free, then pay the shipping from the mainland to Hawaii. It’s a hassle especially when you need the parts; however but when the items are $75.00 and the shipping is $58.00 that’s when I get upset.

Needed to get that out there, as I’m feeling the pinch of “paradise taxes”. Definition of paradise taxes is/are “if you can afford to live in Hawaii, you can afford higher than normal shipping cost”. 🤬🤬🤬

Aloha for allowing me to vent. Have a great weekend.
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

“Aloha and have a great day!”
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Shipping Cost to Hawaii (Rant/Venting) session

Post by 86_6series »

I was shipping a BBS-RC090 barrel insert to Hawaii for the buyer.

FedX and UPS was $135.00
USPS was $59.00
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

KINGJOHN808 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:32 am A large priority box shipping from NYC to Los Angeles is $21.00. Los Angeles to Hawaii is $21.00. Believe it or not, NYC to Hawaii and or anywhere in between is still $21.00. Weight is not an issue as the motto for the post office is “if it fits in the flat rate box, it ships at the flat rate price”. I tested this out by shipping river rocks from Hawaii to Florida just to see if they would actually accept it. Box weighed in at 32 pounds. The box arrived in less than 7 days albeit beat the hell up. Thank God for duct tape! 🤣
I can see where it is upsetting, I have not ordered stuff simply because they charge for shipping, or planned ahaed and bought enough to get free shipping. It's just as easy to order the stuff for 2 oil changes as one.

BTW, Flat Rate Priority has a 70lb limit.
85 635CSi Bronzit
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

86_6series wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:32 pm I was shipping a BBS-RC090 barrel insert to Hawaii for the buyer.

FedX and UPS was $135.00
USPS was $59.00
Correct, a barrel is a large item than won’t fit in a small (flat rate) box so I would be willing to pay the $59.00. It’s when you order “20 washers” and the total before shipping is $5.19 BUT the shipping is another $22.00. That’s just ridiculously sad.
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Jlc wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:35 pm
KINGJOHN808 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:32 am A large priority box shipping from NYC to Los Angeles is $21.00. Los Angeles to Hawaii is $21.00. Believe it or not, NYC to Hawaii and or anywhere in between is still $21.00. Weight is not an issue as the motto for the post office is “if it fits in the flat rate box, it ships at the flat rate price”. I tested this out by shipping river rocks from Hawaii to Florida just to see if they would actually accept it. Box weighed in at 32 pounds. The box arrived in less than 7 days albeit beat the hell up. Thank God for duct tape! 🤣
I can see where it is upsetting, I have not ordered stuff simply because they charge for shipping, or planned ahaed and bought enough to get free shipping. It's just as easy to order the stuff for 2 oil changes as one.

BTW, Flat Rate Priority has a 70lb limit.
I always try to max out when buying parts but some companies are just price gouging when it comes to shipping. Funniest part is they can’t explain why it’s so much, just “unfortunately, this is what the cost of USPS is”. Totally a lie, it’s the zip code that they are going off of. I tried to order 20 washers ($5.19) and the shipping was over $20.00 using USPS to zip code 96813.🤬🤬🤬. Change the zip code to 90746 and the shipping magically changed to $9.90 using USPS. Again, WTF! 🤬🤬🤬
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

It's called Corporate Indifference. Chasing the almighty $$$, they treat customers like crap. Imagine being a human resource in their system

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
TimU

Post by TimU »

As an Australian trying to find parts for my 6, I feel your pain.
I've found that US sellers on eBay are the worst for postage price gouging.
We regularly see listings for a small & light $20 part that carries a US$50-$80 shipping charges.
yeah, no thanks.

Especially when Schmeidmann.com can send a whole box of parts from Norway to Australia for US$40.
I know who's getting my business!
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

TimU wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:53 pm As an Australian trying to find parts for my 6, I feel your pain.
I've found that US sellers on eBay are the worst for postage price gouging.
We regularly see listings for a small & light $20 part that carries a US$50-$80 shipping charges.
yeah, no thanks.

Especially when Schmeidmann.com can send a whole box of parts from Norway to Australia for US$40.
I know who's getting my business!
Exactly TimU. I feel your pain. These places are completely price gouging when it comes to shipping, just because they can.

To keep from paying $56.00 for a 3 pound box I paid $9.00 shipping to send to California to my sisters house (shipping took two days from Arizona to Los Angeles). She then shipped the same items (placed in a flat rate box) for $16.00 and it will be here in 3 days or less.

So the same items using the same service cost a total of $25, but for some reason when I gave “that company” my zip code, they automatically doubled the shipping cost with the explanation of “unfortunately, thats what it cost to ship to Hawaii”.

Total rip off!
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

I have had the same problems buying from the US. Not only are shipping charges prohibitive, but then there are the import duties and tax to pay! Most items are just not worth buying 🙁

A few years ago I found it (almost) cheaper to go to the USA for a skiing holiday and have my reconditioned tri-power set up delivered to my accommodation address. I travelled back with the intake manifold on my suitcase and the three carbs in my hand luggage. I only had to purchase a hold-all for my clothes, which didn’t add anything to my flight costs. I reckon I saved at least $400-500 on freight and customs charges😉
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Pod wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:31 am I have had the same problems buying from the US. Not only are shipping charges prohibitive, but then there are the import duties and tax to pay! Most items are just not worth buying 🙁

A few years ago I found it (almost) cheaper to go to the USA for a skiing holiday and have my reconditioned tri-power set up delivered to my accommodation address. I travelled back with the intake manifold on my suitcase and the three carbs in my hand luggage. I only had to purchase a hold-all for my clothes, which didn’t add anything to my flight costs. I reckon I saved at least $400-500 on freight and customs charges😉
I have totally done that before. 🤣. I needed a set of disc drilled for a new lug pattern. Flew to California with them in my luggage, got the work done in a few days. Had In n out Burger, repacked the disc in my suit case and flew back to Hawaii. Definitely saved a few hundred on that trip.

I’ve brought home all kinds of parts in my luggage. Tools (from Harbor Freight), carburetors, struts and shocks. My motto is “if it fits, it ships!” 🤣🤣
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)