Lapis Rescue - '83 633csi - euro conversion

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Lapis Rescue - '83 633csi

Post by songzunhuang »

kronus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:38 pm The Leather Magic kit came with an applicator pad that looks like dense closed-cell foam, and an air sprayer. I tried both, and found that the best result came from using the applicator pad to “stipple” on the dye. Effectively, you dab it on there instead of brushing, which cuts down on streaks and leaves a nice uniform surface finish.

The sprayer should have been best, but I found it to produce uneven results and one time it backpressurized the can enough that it dribbled dye all over my seat. So, if you’re going to do the sprayer, be better at it than me.
I used Leather Magic before as well on our family Volvos. Skip the included air sprayer and use an old fashion compressor and touch up gun. That worked the best for me. I did notice that whatever I used, it would last about 6-9 months on a used (drivers) seat. Then you have to repeat it all over again. After doing this three times on my Volvo, I bought a quality seat cover.

Here's when I first used the foam applicator. https://thehuangs.com/?p=219
Then I refinished in 9 months. https://thehuangs.com/?p=300

Anyhow, it works great for seats that are not used as often. Good luck.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
kronus

Post by kronus »

Thanks for the insight. I'm expecting the back seats to not be used that frequently, but it's disappointing that it doesn't quite last in a more harsh environment.

Today was Radwood. I had the car out there, and saw a lot of much nicer and more well-kept cars.

Prior to this, I had my first ever go at detailing, borrowing my friend's polishing tools. I was successful at installing a lot of swirls, but I'm told it's not too tragic to get them back out. A big issue is the paint is heavily cracked - I think it's flaking off in the cracks and polluting the pad. The paint is almost certainly a complete goner (maybe a 20 footer at best without bodyshop work), so this was a good learning experience that didn't matter too much.

A little side-by-side on the roof -

The biggest pain was the hood, and I'm still not done with it. When I got the car, it had been vandalized, and the hood was the biggest victim. It had been hit with a hammer, scratched with keys, and had paint spilled on it. It was up to an eighth of an inch thick in spots!

This was the initial state -

After a lot (like 8+) hours of applying goof-off and elbow grease, split between me and the same friend who helped me rescue this car in the first place -

It's not perfect, and I still have a bunch of paint to remove, but it was an incredible amount of progress. Unfortunately the solvents in the paint have damaged the car's original paint, so the streaks will remain until the hood is repainted.
kronus

Post by kronus »

I picked this up from a super nice shop owner near Travis Air Force Base.

It's a 1980 635csi, with the dogleg and factory-specced Recaros. It comes with a mystery motor:

short water jacket + raised 3.5 + reinforced ribs behind water pump housing + 635EL stamp block + 82 stamp head. I'm super confused about what it could be, because it's not tripping the obvious M90 tells for me. The block has obviously been painted. Mounts look custom, but I'm not sure about that either. It may need to come back apart to find out what the bore is and what the state of it is in there.

The story on the car is that the shop owner found it parked in a field in Pebble Beach with a For Sale sign, with this M30 that had broken the timing chain. He dragged it to his work, and it's sat there ever since.

My high-level plan is to carry over both front and rear bumpers, the headlights and front turn signals, the spoiler, the trunklid, the hood, the transmission, and the motor to the Lapis Rescue since it's a 100% dry and straight shell and most of these things will bolt up with minor modifications. It would go for a fresh coat of Lapis at this point.

The euro car has major rust in a couple spots that will be a chore to fix. I don't think it's in the cards for me to restore it personally, but if it's less rusty than a car someone else is trying to fix, I am very supportive of them using this shell as a base for their build.

Thoughts?
kronus

Post by kronus »

if this post (https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/m90-o ... ost-220025) is anything to go by, it's possible that this is a "late m90", which I would be super happy to see.
kronus

Re: Lapis Rescue - '83 633csi - euro conversion starting July '22

Post by kronus »

Small update. I pulled the recaros out of the euro car, cleaned them up, conditioned them with leatherique until the leather stopped behaving like cardboard, taped up some of the bigger holes, and stuck them in the 83. They'll stay in there while I get some other, more blue-er seats sorted.

I've also blundered into a set of Fikse Profil 10's. Might toss both on to be able to decide.. Would you run Fikses or Hayashis?

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

The lesson on these rescues is to use your Hagerty or AAA towing benefit to flatbed the car to a safe spot or home garage. The couple of $$ is really worth it.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
kronus

Post by kronus »

Thankfully I had a couple friend that needed to drop a car off in Sacremento, and we were able to meet up and bring this shell home on the way back with minimal fuss :)

No major updates on the blue horror this week, but I have been driving it around and getting familiar with all the issues. One real interesting one is I get a really nasty front shake/death wobble around 45 MPH, on both acceleration and deceleration. All the front suspension rebuild junk is in the trunk, I just need to get a free minute to toss it all in..
kronus

Post by kronus »

It's been a while. Let's catch up.

Two major things happened to the blue car. 1 - I threw my back out really badly, which rendered me completely unable to walk, much less turn wrenches, for a month. I still wanted to make progress so the car went off to my friends at The Studio in San Mateo.

They installed the following new parts:
- front lower control arms
- front upper control arms
- Moosehead upper control arm spherical bearings
- tie rods, center drag link, and offside pivot
- front sway bar links
- rear subframe bushings
- rear trailing arm bushings
- rear sway bar links
- rear trailing arm links

They also tossed in a spare 3.25 diff I had acquired from a friend - a limited slip unit out of a Z3. I'm not sure if it's a motorsport no-preload unit or totally roasted.. or a Torsen. The car doesn't have the power to test it quite yet.

2 - once my back finally got better, I was able to start poking at the euro bumper conversion. I'm going to "backdate" the car to 1980 spec, with the fat trunk spoiler and all. It's not technically correct, but I like the look, and it'll make sense once there's an M90 and dogleg in there.

To start off, i pulled the US bumpers off the blue car. Really remarkably little rust under them. Overall this shell is very dry and straight.

The front valence is a BMP unit, I believe. It's in two pieces and has a chunk missing. I'm not sure if it's worth it to someone to try and save it. If that sounds like something you'd like to mess with, get in touch :wink:

I fit up the front bumper from the euro car to see what I'm working with. It'll need the federalization bar removed for me to be able to access the assembly hardware, which I'll need to do to be able to paint the relevant pieces. This will be nearly impossible without a plasma cutter, which I thankfully can borrow. I've also ordered two new bumper impact strips, although I suspect one of them is for an early valence-less car and may require modification.

The rear seems like it will be a minor dilemma. The early euro bumper mounts with big oval metal hoops, which are just bolted straight to the back panel of the car. It is single-walled on the EU shell, but dual walled on the U blue car, which will make replicating this a challenge. The other alternative is to reuse the US bumper shocks, but to open them, purge the oil, compress them to the correct length, and spot weld them into position. However, this requires the use of the US rear bumper, since it has broached square holes for the shock mounts. I have the US and euro bumpers side by side, and cannot find any difference between them dimensionally or in the shape of the under-bumper panel. Are the early euro and US bumpers actually identical??

See you in a few months with more updates. While it's half-disassembled, there is a nonzero chance of a full repaint happening.. time will tell!
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Early early model US cars did have a federalized 5mph bumper that is longer but similar to the early euro. This would have been on a 630CS or similar early car.

Your rear for an early euro should be like your original '78 635. If you can track one down, the good news is that they are quite easy to retrofit compared to the later euro rear bumpers with the cover/trim in the rear.

Retrofitted one onto my e28 based 633 when I had it. The bumper got damaged when the car got hit in the rear though I still have it and the true euro rear valance.

You also ought to consider swapping the true euro turnsignal lenses and the e code euro headlights...
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
kronus

Post by kronus »

Early early model US cars did have a federalized 5mph bumper that is longer but similar to the early euro. This would have been on a 630CS or similar early car.
I have the two bumpers ('83 US and '80 euro) side by side and they are identical. This is counter to everything I've read and to what you're saying.. so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The only difference is the US bumper has provisions for attaching shocks, and the euro one mounts via big oval hoops.

I wonder if the euro car got a US rear bumper at some point.

I'll snap some photos over the weekend. My installation plan is to open, empty, and cut down the US shocks so that the bumper sits at the euro location.
You also ought to consider swapping the true euro turnsignal lenses and the e code euro headlights...
done and done :D just haven't taken photos yet
kronus

Post by kronus »

further inspection of my photos confirms that the '80 car came to me with a US bumper.

compare the end of the trim:

vs a true euro:

so, that's not great..
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Maybe a federalization requirement at the time of import?
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
kronus

Post by kronus »

It's possible, yeah. I haven't seen this specific federalization approach before, but all sorts of weird stuff happened back then.

I guess I'm on the hunt for a euro rear bumper :(

Also, last night I tore apart the front bumper and used a plasma cutter to cut the federalization reinforcement out of it. Now I can break the thing all the way down for paint.

Unfortunately very little of the hardware survived. The good news is the chrome pieces are not too rusty underneath and I should be able to wirewheel, rust-convert, and POR15 them to make them last.
kronus

Post by kronus »

popping in with some minor updates.

A friend and I found an 89 black L6 in a pick n pull. The ellipsoids, taillights, and kidneys were sadly already gone, but I snagged everything I could from the interior:

.. as well as the world bumper rear shrouds. These should make it easier to do a clean rear euro conversion. I got the center strip too.

If anyone can use the door cards and upholstery, let me know. I'm weighing swapping the interior of mine to black using this stuff, but not super sold on it.

bonus random shot at the shop. Two friends recently picked up E28s.

Nick_from_Brooklyn

Post by Nick_from_Brooklyn »

Newb here! Loving this thread.

I just acquired an 1980 633 ( haven't even got the car yet) it has the US bumpers and no front air dam. You can see it here on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-bmw-633csi-9/

I've see mention of putting a later 635 spoiler on, but was there a "period correct" spoiler available either as a factory option or after market in 1980?

There are replicas of both Zender and Alpina spoilers on a few sites, I'm not familiar with Zender. Ultimately will go with whatever is the better quality and easiest swap but would at least like to know the difference between my choices.

Look forward to sharing more and following our updates.

Thanks!

Nick
1980 633csi Safari Beige on Tan
2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5
2021 MB GLE AMG53
[img]https://ibb.co/tb2MW6r/[img]
kronus

Post by kronus »

Nice find and thank you! Looks like it's had a relatively pampered life.

If you're talking about the trunk spoiler:

For 1980, the "fat" spoiler as pictured above on my 1980 euro car would have been correct. However, AFAIK it was not offered as a factory option on US cars. There was enough cars imported, though, that it would not have been very surprising to find one on a USDM car. This one is local and looks to be in nice shape: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125568629859

Here is an example of a Zender spoiler: https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=136392 . They were a period tuner and definitely not surprising to see on a car. Alpina rear spoilers for E24s were few and far between. CEP sells a repro: https://www.classiceuroparts.com/produc ... hartge-m6/ and it looks pretty good.

The other option is the later euro optional lip, like installed on this car: https://themarket.bonhams.com/en/listin ... 07dce7b8b6

All of these spoilers install basically into the same set of holes on the trunk lip. If your car does not have these holes (yours doesn't), you have to drill them. Templates are not really available, but you can find the necessary measurements elsewhere on this forum.

If you're talking about the front valence and bumper:

You're constrained by having a US front bumper. Most of the more attractive options are designed for euro bumpers, so if you wanted to install one you would need the whole enchilada.

Your options:
- complete euro front conversion, pre-1978 style, with small metal airdam
- complete euro front conversion, with either an early (no foglights) or a late (foglights) euro valence. For your model year, no foglights would be more technically correct.
- later US airdam addition from a 1984+ car. There are a couple versions of these bumpers available, including some aftermarket ones that are pretty close to the factory ones, e.g. https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3pyBgE ... bmw-633csi
- 88-89 world bumper conversion. This tucks the diving board bumpers in a few inches and streamlines the side trim around the valence.

The euro conversions require a little fabrication - a couple holes drilled in the frame rails to mount the bumper brackets. It's not bad. Finding a complete bumper set in good condition is harder, but it's also hard for a US bumper setup.

If you reach out to Elias Gergy on the US E24 FB group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1492349597717426) he may have some options. Another alternative is to post a WTB on this forum!

hope that helps
Nick_from_Brooklyn

Tremendous help thank you! I'm only considering the front spoiler not the boot. I've seen carbon fiber and other resin type replicas online, I live and sometimes park on the street in the city, so are those kits still effective bumpers god forbid someone even taps me? Does the bumper extend beyond the nose? They didn't have giant SUVs creeping around back then.

Here's some I found:
https://www.classiceuroparts.com/produc ... og-lights/
https://dtmfiberwerkz.com/index.php?rou ... uct_id=319

Spoiler Only, maybe could mount to US bumpers since I might actually need them.: https://dtmfiberwerkz.com/index.php?rou ... uct_id=319

Oh last question, would bumpers / spoilers from an e12 FIT?
2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5
2021 MB GLE AMG53
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

I did a world bumper swap, but that was from 1988 E24 to 1986 E24.
From a 1980 E12 from a 6/1987 or later E24--I don't know.

This is the world air dam for E24 started as of 6/87.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=51_0510

This shows compatibility with other models. None listed.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?i ... 1111967448

This is the E12 air dam, never had a world air dam.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?i ... 1111861049

E12 and E24 chassis are different. I'm not sure about some body parts.
Will the lower fender line up, will the brackets line up with front beam, etc.
I'm sure someone will chime in with more info than me. You can cross reference
the body parts on Realoem.com
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Klaus did a world bumper conversion on his '81, which is a series 1 E12 chassis model :-"

Look him up on the board and send him a PM to discuss directly with him [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Nick_from_Brooklyn

Thanks I'll reach out to him, doing all this prep and haven't even got car yet. Can't wait!
2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5
2021 MB GLE AMG53
kronus

Post by kronus »

Couple small year-end updates. Car has been stored for a bit while I mess around with the euro bumper conversion.

I did find time to install some cabin bling - a Hella Rallye wheel and a new shift knob!

The shift knob comes with a matching transmission :wink: Dogleg is in and working well with the B32 and complete E12 mount, shifter, and driveshaft setup.

I also have successfully retrieved the motor that came with the euro car. Good news - it's one of the mythical "late M90" blocks with the short coolant channel. Pistons are flat tops marked 93.55 - so it's already been rebored to first oversize. Pistons have some valve contact marks from the mechanical failure that parked the car, but should still be runnable.

I also got a complete early intake and distribution system with this motor, but will probably end up running late B35/Motronic 1.3 stuff, so if anyone needs it..
kronus

Post by kronus »

Today, I finally fixed the cluster backlight by swapping out the headlight switch for one I rebuilt and reflowing the cluster circuit board.

Then, I started messing around with the front bumper. I first thought about fitting it up with the euro mount brackets:

This looked like a pain, as I would need to remove a substantial amount of the US frame rail protrusions. Instead, I chose to make new brackets, prompted by an idea from slownrusty's video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWHjzpcdyu0

They start with some 1.5" tube, cut at a 15 degree angle. You can take apart US bumper shocks to get pretty perfect tubes to use for this, or scrounge something together from random metal you have laying around. I chose the latter, since my front bumper shocks were not where the car was.

I then fashioned metal plates (shallow u channel, cut from square section). notched out mounting slots, and attached them to the bumper. This allowed me to sneak the bumper up to where it's supposed to live, and tack the mounts in place.

Some finish welding later, I had half decent bumper mounts. They'll need a tab added to be able to bolt to the car, but this was a couple cuts and some welds, and much less intrusive to the car.

We put the (not yet painted) valence on to get an idea of how the car would look. Happy noises occurred.

I also took a minute to get the rear world bumper pods ready to install. They need the rearmost stud cut off to fit to a US car, or you can drill the car body. I chose the former, and was able to then mock them up, along with a tucked rear bumper.

More happy noises. Next up, painting the valence and pods, and cleaning up this mostly mocked-up install.
kronus

Post by kronus »

If anyone is sitting on a half-decent passenger side euro bumper front trim, I am desperately in need of one, fwiw.
kronus

Post by kronus »

Two quickies.

1 - we've had a mystery strut brace laying around the shop for a few years. It never fit any of the cars we tried to fit it on (e30, e28, e31, e36), so it was tossed into a corner and forgotten about. Turns out it's for an E24 :mrgreen: anyone know who made this one?

2 - I took a pattern from the original shift boot that came in the Lapis car, and reproduced it. There are some tweaks I still want to make to the pattern, but it is pretty good for a test piece. I'm thinking of doing a run of these, in case folks are interested.

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Dmitry, that strut brace looks like a dead ringer of the former BMP Design version, especially with that urethane eccentric adjuster \:D/

I'll have to dig up some photos for you :-"

And nice job on the shifter gator =D>

I bet you could sell those :lol:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black