Molding removal

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rrrs

Molding removal

Post by rrrs »

I am soon going to repaint my '85 635csi, bringing it back to original Burgundy color.
I have a dilemma on removing or just taping the trim that goes along the roof edge above the doors and rear window.
I read somewhere that it is very hard to remove it without bending/damaging it.

Does someone here have more experience with this; would it be possible to carefully remove it without damaging?
If so, what is the best procedure to do this?
Ronnie Wilson

Re: Molding removal

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

Hi.

If your talking about the polished aluminium on the rain gutter, the only way to remove it is from gently pulling it away from the bottom of the a pillar.
Which ever way you do it it will bend slightly.
When you remove it don’t try and straighten it, start putting it back on the way it came off.
Under the aluminium there are four small countersink self tapping screws, i replaced these with stainless steel ones bought off ebay, but make sure when you screw them back on the head of the screw doesn’t sit proud otherwise when you push on the aluminium trim the proud heads of the screws will dent the aluminium.
Getting the dents out is a pain in the arse. Last time i looked the lefthand side was still available from Bmw, the righthand is NLA. Once you see how this piece comes off you can remove the other pieces. Take your time.
Ronnie
Liverpool uk.
1986 635csi.
Bronze Beige Metallic.
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

Thanks so much, I will try my best!
I am lucky to potentially have access to another parts car, so might have a second chance!
jsspagg Online

Post by jsspagg »

Aloha rrrs
Any updates on your roof line trim removal? Did you do it?
How did it go?
Any tips or tricks you can pass on?

Let us know please!
1980 635 Euro
Under restoration