Supersprint Advice

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

L.Tigre

Supersprint Advice

Post by L.Tigre »

Investing in a full Supersprint exhaust for my 1987 635csi. (Build date 10/1986 so earlier engine on the E28-based car). A couple questions for anyone who has done it before:

- Headers: hows the quality, do they fit, any clearance issues? And does anyone have experience getting old cast manifolds out after 35+ years? My mechanic is skittish to install this, I am twisting his arm to agree.

- 70mm tips were meant for the S38 I think; but I assume this works on a 635csi also?

- Suggestions on gasket / heat shield? I don't run it all that hard so I hope there won't be issues here.

Let me know any advice before I take the plunge. Planning to go with the links below. Thx!

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5892 ... pdk=AwIBAQ
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1898 ... r-muffler/
Slownrusty

Re: Supersprint Advice

Post by Slownrusty »

I recommend installing these gaskets, so it does not cook your spark plug wires, made by Victor Reinz and excellent quality:

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/ex ... hield-m30/

Removal of the stock exhaust manifold, should go OK, tell your Mechanic to take his time. I've done this a few times and have not had a stud snap (touch wood), sometimes a nut will get fused or rusted to a stud but that actually facilitates removal of the stud. I recommend getting new ARP stainless studs (using copper anti-seize) with copper nuts and NOT re-using your old 35+ year fasteners.

The installation of the Supersprint should go smoothly as it's a fully engineered and designed system. You're paying a lot of money for it, so it should all go smoothly. If there is an issue, it might *only* be where the header collector in the vicinity of the firewall connect to the first set of horizontal pipes under the car. Mock it up and you'll know.
Yasin

"ole skool, I wouldn't have it any other way"
L.Tigre

Re: Supersprint Advice

Post by L.Tigre »

Thx Slownrusty for the advice; I got the gaskets and studs as recommended.

My mechanic politely declined; just said it was more a job for an exhaust shop. Which I respect.

I do have an exhaust shop. But the feedback from them is: it won't fit. At the time based on their advice, I thought maybe I had mistakenly purchased an S38 part or something; so I told them I'll check it and be back. Nope, I got the right one. Dug around in Turner and ECS and Supersprint. It's SS PN 780401. Everywhere says "will fit" my 87 635csi.

The exhaust shop argument is shown in these pics. Looks like about 6.5" deep header, trying to fit into a 5-6" space.

But after studying it, I think this kind of bootstrap measurement is misleading. As the engine is on an angle and the exhaust-side face is tilted downward. The header should kinda "tuck in" under the engine, so it does not need a full 6.5" horizontal clearance.

Let me know if I am missing something (or if Supersprint makes something more compact and I'm just missing it). Next back to this shop, or another or another til someone will install the darn thing-
IMG_6713.jpeg
IMG_6713.jpeg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 583 times
IMG_6711.jpeg
IMG_6711.jpeg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 583 times